Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Passover's coming early!

My friend Melissa messaged me today about finding recipes that are kosher for Passover. For those of you who don't know, Passover is a Jewish celebration that roughly coincides with Easter every year and commemorates when the Jews (led by Moses) escaped persecution in Egypt. Many of you my parents age probably know the story from the movie The Ten Commandments. If you're my age, it's more likely that you recognize it from the Rugrats Passover Special (a true classic). Every year, Passover begins at night fall with a Seder, which is a traditional Jewish meal that has a prayer service component. In Israel, there is only one Seder, while in other countries there are two. During the 8 day celebration, Jews are not allowed to eat anything that rises when cooked, like bread, cake, cookies, etc. Depending on your type of Judaism and how strictly you follow its laws, the ban can also include rice, pasta, and a whole bunch of other things that we like to eat. Many people who don't usually keep kosher during the year are kosher for this week, and food has to be specifically marked "kosher for Passover" because of the extra restrictions. Foods that are usually relegated to this time include macaroons, matzoh, and jelly rings. Jews also use matzoh meal (crushed up matzoh) as a flour replacement during cooking, which is why kosher-for-Passover cakes are so dense. Some of you non Jews probably enjoy eating matzoh as a snack throughout the year because it resembles a large cracker. Most of you Jews out there restrict your eating of it to just one week a year because by the end you're so thoroughly sick of it that you just can't imagine eating it for pleasure. If that's you, then it's time to start cramming in those last few bits of bread, because Passover is just 2 weeks away.

So back to Melissa. Her family is of the kosher variety, so it's very important that we find recipes that follow all the rules. There used to be very few options for Passover foods, but lately recipes have been popping up that resemble something I'd cook on a regular night. Below are a few recipes I found plus a couple that I've been eating since childhood. Keep your eyes peeled for a post during Passover with the results of my third annual Passover Dinner for Mostly Non-Jews. I'm putting a couple of my recipes on here now, but I'm saving the show stopper and all of my picutes for that post. Feel free to share any of your favorite Passover dishes in the comments below, on my facebook page, or in an email to nomoretakeout@gmail.com, I'd love to hear from you!

--------------------

Recipe 1: Matzoh Pizzahttp://www.food.com/recipe/quick-matzo-pizza-159648

Yep, it's exactly like it sounds. Ever make pizza bagels or english muffins? This is the same thing, just with matzoh. I used to make this one with my friends when I was a kid, and my one friend Laura brings it up every year when we talk about the spring holidays. I did a quick google search to find this recipe; it has a lot of toppings, but you can really make it how ever you like. I suggest using whole boards of matzoh instead of parts because smaller ones can crack in the oven. I also have always used a bit of oregano on mine to give it that "pizza" flavor.

Recipe 2: Apple Spice Cake - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Passover-Apple-Cake/Detail.aspx

My friend Jenn made this for me at my first Passover Dinner for Mostly Non-Jews. She'd never cooked with matzoh meal before so she was surprised when it ended up being a dense, sticky cake. It was absolutely delicious, though. She doesn't have the recipe anymore (it was two years ago, after all), but I found one online that looks similar. I read through the reviews and it seems like the people who had the best results doubled the recipe for the dough but not the apples. I'm excited to try it this year, I'll let you know how it goes!

Recipe 3: Caramelized Squash

This one is one of my dad's go-to recipes when he wants a side dish that looks fancy but doesn't take too much effort. I've made it for various holidays over the last few years and I always get a ton of compliments. Dad said that the recipe is technically supposed to have brown sugar, but I've always used white splenda instead and it turns out just fine. Yellow squash works great because the sugar brings out the sweetness, but I've also used red peppers to great success. Let me know if you try other vegetables, I'd be interested to hear how it turns out!

You'll need: 2 yellow squash (or red peppers, or one of each), butter, sugar or splenda, salt.

Directions: 

1) Slice the squash into rounds (or the pepper into bite-size pieces, if you go that route)

2) Coat the bottom of a frying pan with butter (not margarine)

3) Sautee the squash with a liberal dash of salt.

4) When the squash is translucent (or when the peppers start to get soft), add 4-6 teaspoons of sugar/splenda. Stir until the sauce thickens into a sweet glaze.

Recipe 4: Stuffed Mushrooms

My cousin is a vegetarian who hates mushrooms. Yet somehow she became famous in my family for her fantastic stuffed mushrooms that she serves every year at Passover. Her recipe is also very easy and it comes out very impressive-looking. It's basically the same as a regular stuffed mushroom recipe, but she substitutes matzoh meal for bread crumbs. My cousin is all about making things to your taste, so I'm sure the recipe changes a bit each year. Feel free to add your own spices and eyeball how much of everything you want to add.

You'll need: big mushrooms, an egg, matzoh meal, olive oil, garlic powder and onion powder.

Directions:


1) Remove stems from mushroom caps and set aside. I've found that you really only need half of the stems for the stuffing, so you can discard the other half. Or you could do what I did last year and use a small casserole dish for the extra stuffing and bake it anyway. I recommend adding some olive oil if you do that so that it doesn't dry out.

2) Put mushroom caps on a sheet pan covered in aluminum foil. Chop up the mushroom stems (in a food processor if you have it). Put them in a large bowl.

3) Beat the egg and add it to the mushrooms. Mix.

4) Add matzoh meal and mix. Use enough that the stuffing is moist but not dry.

5) Stuff your mushrooms and add your powder seasonings. You could also use fresh onion and garlic and/or herbs if you'd like, just chop or process them with the mushrooms back in step 2.

6) Drizzle some olive oil. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until tender and juicy.

And that's what I have for Passover so far. Hit the comments or send me an email at nomoretakeout@gmail.com to share your favorite Passover recipes!

1 comment:

  1. I love Matza pizza just had some today I always make it every year.

    ReplyDelete