Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Pizza Dough Fiasco

As I said earlier, today was not supposed to be a cooking day. But then I thought about it and decided that I would surprise you with some extra motivation and make a spinach/pizza loaf that my cousin recommended. So I open the fridge to grab my pizza dough, and am shocked to discover that there was twice the size of what I put it in there! My first thought was "OMG, WHAT DID I DO?" and then "Should it not have gone in there? Did it go bad? Why did that happen???" I panicked and pressed on it and realized - to my great relief - that it was just air and I was able to squeeze it all out. I started to write a post about how I almost had a pizza dough fiasco on my hands and started to feel a bit better....until I decided to figure out why this awful thing had happened.

So I googled. And realized that I'm the one who made the huge mistake - not the poor pizza dough. It was supposed to rise, but now I've gone and deflated it. All of you seasoned cooks out there have been laughing at me since the beginning, because what idiot doesn't know that yeast-filled pizza dough is supposed to rise? Well, the answer is me. So, seasoned cooks, is my pizza dough still usable?

I'm going to try putting it back in the fridge and hoping that it does its thing again. And if not, I'll just find some other use for it or chuck it. It's not a big deal, every new cook makes a few mistakes.

Next time I'll make sure to use my pizza dough the day after I buy it....and make sure to check with someone knowledgeable before I panic about "ruined" food.

1 comment:

  1. pizza dough rises :-) yeast :-) it is totally usable. take it out of the fridge about a half an hour before you are ready to cook then flatten out to make your pizza.

    i buy pizza dough also and it sits in my fridge all week. we use it daily sometimes, the bigger it gets the more personal pan pizzas we have :-)

    ReplyDelete