Friday, April 15, 2011

The Freezer Experiement

This week the fiance and I are in NY for Columbia's Admitted Students' weekend and Passover with my family.

My friend Brittany called me from California last night to check in and as always, she had impeccable timing because I needed her help to solve a rather frustrating problem: what should I do with all of the extra food in my fridge that I wasn't able to use up before my week-long trip to New York?

And thus, we came up with the great Freezer Experiment of 2011. I froze what I could, left some things in the fridge, and packed myself some fresh snack food for the bus ride, like baby tomatoes and red seedless grapes.

Group 1: Foods I know are freezer-friendly:
  • chicken tenderloins
  • leftover arroz con pollo

Group 2: Foods that should (hopefully) last in the fridge:
  • fresh mozzarella (unopened)
  • mexican cheese blend (also unopened)
  • soy milk
  • lemon wedges

Group 3: Foods I froze:
  • Collard greens
  • half an onion
  • cut-up peppers
  • cucumber
  • hot green pepper
  • a lime
  • fresh parsley

Group 4: Foods I decided not to freeze
  • Garlic
  • Avocado
  • Jicama
  • Yams
  • Dates  ***NEW FOOD ALERT!***

That's the line-up; we'll see how everything fared when I get back next week. Give me your predictions in the comments section below, I'll let you know if you're right. And next time, I will definitely leave the culinary ambition to weeks when I'm not leaving for New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment