Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Happy Passover!

Passover is here, and with it comes big family dinners, Manischewitz wine, and matzoh balls of all shapes and sizes. I'll be posting pictures and recipes after my annual Passover for Mostly Non Jews on Saturday, but here's a great Passover recipe to tide you over until then:

Chocolate Covered Matzoh

You'll need:

  • A sheet pan (preferably with one with slats for excess butter to drain off.)
  • Parchment paper (if you don't have it, don't worry about it)
  • Enough matzoh to cover the pan (about 3-4 boards)
  • 2 sticks of butter
  • 1/2 cup of sugar or splenda
  • 2 cups (1 bag) of chocolate chips

Directions:

  1. Cover the pan with parchment paper and matzoh
  2. Melt the butter in the microwave
  3. Mix the butter and sugar, pour over matzoh and spread with basting brush so that every piece is covered
  4. Bake in oven at 350 for 8-10 minutes
  5. Put chocolate chips on each piece of matzoh (some boards may have cracked into several pieces - that's fine). If matzoh is hot enough to melt chocolate chips, spread chocolate over matzoh with a spatula. If not, don't worry about it.
  6. Put chocolate matzoh back in oven for 2-4 minutes. If chocolate did not spread before, spread chocolate over matzoh now.
  7. Put chocolate covered matzoh  in fridge for at least 15-30 minutes before serving. If you don't have room for the pan in the fridge, you can use a spatula to transfer to a plate before cooling. If possible, cover the plate with parchment paper first so that the chocolate doesn't stick.
  8. Once cool, break apart matzoh and serve. Enjoy!
This recipe is brought to you thanks to my future mother-in-law. Her recipe calls for saltines, so that's another great option for all you non-jews out there. I was initially a little wary of the amount of butter we used, but it worked out really well because it made the matzoh taste like toffee. 

Here's a picture of how it came out (well, what's left after the family devoured it!):


I know it's not healthy, but I'm sure you could find ways to make it better for you - fat free/sugar free chocolate, splenda (I couldn't tell the difference today), less butter, etc. Frankly, I think that you need a little something sweet after a big family meal, so even the most fastidious dieter can forgive him/herself a small piece of dessert.

Vacations and holidays are tough because you're not home to cook your own foods, but I've been trying. I broke my streak this week because I spent a few days in Manhattan for Columbia Teachers College's admitted students' weekend and didn't have the time/means to make my own food. On Saturday, I had eggs florentine and tried hollandaise sauce for the first time (***NEW FOOD ALERT***). The fiance laughed at me because I had a Julie/Julia moment and couldn't believe how much I liked the sauce. We also had pizza with mom one night, which was good (it's been ages since I've had good NY pizza), but entirely unappetizing. I had a bad reaction to it because of all the grease, so I'll be glad to get home and back in the groove of things. 

Even with the eating out, though, I still met my goal of having a home-cooked meal at least 4 times a week. However, under the circumstances, I wasn't always the one cooking it. Mom tried her hand at cooking a steak one night, so Brian paid her back by showing her how much of a difference fresh ingredients make; she couldn't believe how much she enjoyed the green beans and lemon feta chicken. Today for the seder my cousin made a spinach, cheese, and mashed potato casserole with a mixed vegetable quinoa salad ***NEW FOOD ALERT***(a post on quinoa is coming soon!); and yesterday my sister-in-law made brisket, matzoh ball soup in chicken broth, mashed potatoes, roasted seasonal vegetables, cranberry salsa, and homemade caramels. 

Speaking of my sister-in-law: I'm really proud of her because she juggled all of that cooking with a very bad cold and taking care of two children under the age of 4. She took over many of the family holidays after she had kids, so she's still relatively new at it, but she always does a great job!

And that's it for now. Please let me know if you try out that recipe, I'd love to hear how it turns out. To all my fellow Jews: Happy Passover! 


No comments:

Post a Comment